Keep up-to-date with all of the necessary information and guidance for employees to help your business through the coronavirus outbreak.

General advice

The advice for workers follows the same lines as for the population at large:

  • Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)
  • If you go out or while in your place of work, stay 2 metres (6ft) away from other people at all times
  • Wash your hands thoroughly as soon as you arrive at work, regularly throughout the day, before your leave and as soon as you return home.
  • If displaying symptoms – fever and/or new consistent cough – you must go home and self-isolate for at least 7 days and other members in your household must isolate too for 14 days. If someone in your household displays symptoms you must isolate for 14 days whether you display symptoms or not.

Advice for staff working in the transport sector

Due to the nature of work in the transport sector dealing with passengers the Government has issued specific advice for those working int he sector. Read that advice here.

Furloughed workers

As part of the support measures aimed at keeping businesses afloat during the coronavirus outbreak the Government announced a job retention scheme to avoid businesses having to make employees redundant or lay them off.

The scheme allows for an employee paid through a PAYE system to be furloughed. This is when, by agreement between employee and employer, there is no work for them due to the coronavirus. The employee will be kept on the payroll but unable to do any work for the business.

Your employer could pay 80% of your wages through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, up to a monthly cap of £2,500. They can choose to pay some or all of the remaining 20% in wages. You’ll still be paid by your employer and pay taxes from your income.

Further guidance for employees about the scheme can be found here.

Holidays

Holidays will continue to accrue during any furloughed period. So employees don’t lose these holidays and to help businesses continue once the outbreak is over the government has introduced new legislation allowing up to 4 weeks holiday to be carried over for a 2 year period.

For full information on what is happening to holidays during this time click here.

Look after yourself

Living through these unprecedented times can be difficult for anyone. If the situation has created uncertainty about your job or you’re working from home for the first time ever it is important to look after you own personal wellbeing.

Read the Government’s latest advice to support mental health during the coronavirus outbreak here.

Take a look at 10 tips from the NHS to help of you’re worried about coronavirus here.

The NHS offer advice on how to cope if you’re having to stay at home here.

Not sure how to stay fit while stuck at home? The NHS has produced a Strength & Flex programme you can access here.

Struggling to pay for you mortgage as a result of reduced income? Which has provided a guide on applying for a three-month mortgage holiday here.

National Minimum/Living Wage

Although not related to the coronavirus situation it is important to note that the National Minimum Wage and National Living Wage rates have increased as of 1st April 2020.

Full information about the new rates can be found here.

Support for Furloughed Workers/Staff at Risk of Redundancy
The National Careers Service can provide support for furloughed workers – this support may include progression towards immediate career goals, assistance to recognise, understand and/or develop skills whilst furloughed by providing advice and information on interview skills, job application techniques, skills assessments, identifying transferable skills, skills gaps and signposting to other relevant services and support. Click here for more.